Mens Bowls State Pennants Title
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE GRADE 5 MENS BOWLS PENNANTS TEAM ON THEIR VICTORY
From Management and Staff of Bargo Sports Club.
2017 Bowls NSW State Pennants – Grade 5
Pennants competition is a state based competition, each club has 3 x teams of 4 players.
On the way to the finals we first had to win the Zone 5 Pennants competition and beat clubs from as far and wide as Crookwell to Wentworth Falls (Zone 5 = Greater Western Sydney).
This year the zone 5 competition consisted of 15 different teams, and it should also be noted there are 16 different zones throughout NSW …… so to be the winner of the state final means that you are the #1 club amongst many many other clubs throughout the entire state.
The finals were held at Fingal Bay Bowling Club and Soldiers Point Bowling Club.
Sectional play was held on Friday and Saturday at Fingal Bay, we went down on our first game against Wiseman Park Wollongong City on the Friday afternoon, but got up against South Lismore in the morning and then Northmead in the afternoon on the Saturday.
This was enough to win us our sectional play, and make our way to the finals.
The finals were played at Soldiers Point on the Sunday;
- Semi final (morning) we won against Mingara, getting us into the final
- Final was against Beresfield in the afternoon
- ….. it was a super close match, and an absolute fantastic game of bowls, in front of around 150 spectators and supporters ….. and thanks go to those who travelled from Bargo to support us not only in these state finals but throughout the entire year.
- ….. and after 63 ends of bowls we were the victors 58points to 52points, with the game in the balance right up until the very last end (if you’re not familiar with lawn bowls this is a very close match result)
The most successful result in our clubs history since formation in 1964, our first ever state level victory …… a huge effort for such a small club against many of the huge city clubs ….. after all we only have around 55 active bowling members compared to the larger clubs, some having 300+ active bowlers
This is the pinnacle of lawn bowls and something every player strives for ……. Like a grand final victory in the NRL, this is something that the majority of lawn bowlers will never achieve throughout their entire lifetime.
The team played extremely well throughout the entire season and got a very well deserved result for a bunch of players who combined as a true TEAM.
Not only was the quality of bowls fantastic throughout the entire season, the way these men represented their club and their zone both in their bowls and their attitude was something we are very proud of.
Teams lists as below;
- Peter Tonkies
- Michael Spong
- Alan Robinson
- Emerson Kencalo
- Greg Lewis
- Mitchell Hilliard
- Matt Dubos
- Steve Brennan
- Paul Smith
- Wayne Southwell
- Troy Slater
- (absentee player = Roy Hanmore)
- Alex Kencalo
- Craig Stewart
- Allan Berle